This year, the President has issued a challenge to make any size sampler quilt using scraps, orphan blocks and our stash. The quilts will be displayed at the June meeting and the winners will be chosen by the members.
Your Raffle Coordinators have been busy these past few months out shopping (such a chore!), squirreling away some great buys and, finally they just held an all-day working bee in preparing the packets for the 10 monthly raffle draws and the quarterly basket raffle draws.
They were able to get some great deals, through their travels in Canada and the United States, use of gift certificates at Sew Inspired in Arnprior, Algonquin Sewing Centre in Petawawa, and a discount offered by Sew Crafty Fabric Shop in Rideau Ferry.
The monthly draws will have a variety of fabrics, notions, patterns and tools. The quarterly basket draws have even more fabric, notions, patterns, tools, and some larger items such as lights, irons.
The quarterly basket raffle draw dates are December 13, 2018, April 11, 2019 and June 6, 2019. The April 11th date will allow for “snowbird” members to participate in all three draws! Good luck!
The gift of giving is something quilters around the world are known for. Quilters are usually the first ones to donate a quilt to help someone who needs comfort and care in their lives. Our guild has been very generous helping local charities:
- Financial donations: $400 each to Kanata Food Cupboard and Ruddy Shenkman Hospice, raised from the guild’s retreat in November
- Quilts for raffle or auction to the Kanata Legion, Garden Terrace Senior Home, and Dairy Queen in support of CHEO
- Quilts donated: eight to Chrysalis House (Kanata Women’s Shelter), five to Kanata Breast Cancer Support Group, and six plus pillowcases to Ronald Macdonald House
- Over 400 “Quilties” to newborns at the Queensway Carleton Hospital
- Many bags of food items to Kanata Food Cupboard
- Hats, gloves/mitts, scarves and various winter clothes to Shepherds of Good Hope
Thank you to the guild for your enthusiastic efforts to make quilts for Ronald McDonald Houses. Most of them went just to the Ottawa House and we still have a few more to take there in September.
We will be sewing for Cornerstone Housing for Women. They have been in the news a lot lately as they are going to be opening their 4th residence. They provide long term housing for women in distress. They are looking for throw size or larger quilts and we would like to use our sew day to make a couple of bed quilts for them.
At the December meeting, we will continue with our food donations for the Kanata Food Cupboard and hats, socks, mitts and gloves for Shepherds of Good Hope.