A Quiltie is a little bit of heaven to a newborn and a great way to contribute to our community! They are intended as a gift for new parents to wrap their babies with and take them home.
Interested in making a quiltie? This is a small baby quilt, the size should be between 24-26″ square.
Suggested tips for construction of the quilties is as follows:
- 100% cotton top and 100% flannelette backs
- Cotton thread
- Batting should not be polyester
- Minimal quilting to keep the quiltie soft
- Binding can be standard or envelope/pillowcase style
- Fabrics should be baby appropriate, fun & cheerful, however, no sparkles, glitter or invisible thread as these pose risks to the babies – most of all, have Fun!!
- Labels are added at time of delivery – we have Kanata Guild pre-printed labels
Last year Kanata Quilt Guild donated over 500 quilties to the nursery at the Queensway Carleton Hospital.
As with last year, we will be doing curbside pickup/drop off. Details will be available at our next meeting and in the newsletter. Feel free to contact email@example.com to arrange drop off of items.
Have fun making these!
Here are some patterns used in previous years. But wait! Don’t stop at these examples, feel free to try new blocks or an old favourite to make into one of these lovely little quilts! At 24″ square, that’s only four 12″ blocks, or one large 16″-18″ block with a couple of borders. Maybe dig through your orphan blocks, and see how you can convert those to a beautiful little quiltie.
Quiltie Pattern (September 2018) – Tumbling block Frame
Quiltie Pattern (October 2018) – Square in Diamond
Quiltie Pattern (November 2018) – Friendship star
Quiltie Pattern (December 2018) – Hot Air Balloon
Quiltie Pattern (January 2019) – Candy Stripe Hearts
Quiltie Pattern (February 2019) — Storm at Sea
Quiltie Pattern (March 2019) – 6 1/2″ Four patch
Quiltie Pattern (April 2019) – Fan Flower
Quiltie Pattern (May 2019) – Key Lime Pie