A Quiltie is a little bit of heaven to a newborn and a great way to contribute to our community! They are intended as a gift for new parents to wrap their babies with and take them home.
Interested in making a quiltie? Here’s what you need to know.
- 24”x24” square quilt
- 100% cotton top
- 100% flannelette backs
- Cotton thread
- Batting should not be polyester
- Minimal quilting to keep the quiltie soft
- Binding can be standard or envelope/pillowcase style
- Fabrics should be baby appropriate, fun & cheerful, however, no sparkles, glitter or invisible thread as these pose risks to the babies
- Labels are available at the monthly meetings
Last year Kanata Quilt Guild donated close to 400 quilties to the Queensway Carleton special care nursery.
There will be some kits available created from donated fabric. You will just need to add batting. Or feel free to create one or two from your own stash.
New this year, the Quiltie Coordinators will have a featured pattern and colour scheme for those who are looking for ideas. Check out the featured pattern below and make a quiltie to donate the next meeting!